Limited-Edition Stamps Celebrate High-Performance Cars from the '60s and '70s Era...
DAYTONA BEACH, FL - Raw power now has a stamp of its own, as seven-time NASCAR National Champion Richard Petty recently helped dedicate the America on the Move: Muscle Cars Forever stamps.
Petty, his son Kyle and Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe together dedicated the limited-edition stamps at the Daytona International Speedway where "The King" won a record seven Daytona 500 Championships.
The limited edition stamps feature five iconic muscle cars: the '66 Pontiac GTO, the '67 Shelby GT-500, the '69 Dodge Charger Daytona, the '70 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda and the '70 Chevelle SS.
"The Muscle Cars stamps celebrate an exciting era in American automotive history," said Richard Petty. "These examples of raw power bring back fond memories for me and my family, a testament to how aerodynamics transformed racing. I've been around racing and muscle cars all my life. These stamps bring back the memories of our racing heritage in the '60s and '70s. This is a great way to share our stories, old and new, about the Petty history in racing."
"The muscle cars gave everyday Americans the opportunity to experience the rush of driving a fast, powerful car," said Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe. "Just looking at the stamps evokes a feeling of speed. As Forever stamps, they'll always be good for mailing a First-Class letter anytime in the future. And when you think about it, that's fitting. Because these stamps-just like the great cars they represent-are timeless."
The Muscle Cars Forever stamps are the third issuance in the America on the Move stamp series. The artwork was created by Tom Fritz of Newbury Park, CA, under the art direction of Carl T. Herrman of North Las Vegas, NV. Other issuances in the series, '50s Sporty Cars (2005), followed by '50s Fins and Chrome (2008), were the work of artist Art Fitzpatrick of Carlsbad, CA.
The Muscle Cars stamps are being issued as Forever stamps in self-adhesive sheets of 20 (four of each design). Forever stamps are always equal in value to the current First-Class Mail 1-ounce price.
With features like optional twin racing stripes, the 1970 Chevelle SS looked fierce. SS stood for Super Sport, a fitting designation for this power car. A 396-cubic-inch engine was available, but a 454-cubic-inch engine option gave the 1970 Chevelle SS credibility among muscle car enthusiasts. Two versions of the 454 engine were available: the 360-horsepower LS-5 and the 450-horsepower LS-6. For its sheer power, the latter has become legendary among car buffs.
The LS-6-propelled 1970 Chevelle SS was enough to finish in the 13-second range in quarter-mile tests. Optional Cowl Induction, a flap on the bulged hood that allowed cold air to flow into the engine, added even more kick. In addition to its impressive road performance, the 1970 Chevelle SS also was known for its unique style. Available as a coupe or a convertible, it featured a black grille and SS emblems on both the grille and the rear bumper.
Customers may view the America on the Move: Muscle Cars Forever stamps, as well as many of this year's other stamps, on Facebook at facebook.com/USPSStamps, on Twitter @USPSstamps or on the website Beyond the Perf at beyondtheperf.com/2013-preview. Beyond the Perf is the Postal Service's online site for information on upcoming stamp subjects, first-day-of-issue events and other philatelic news.
Ordering First-Day-of-Issue Postmarks
Customers have 60 days to obtain the first-day-of-issue postmark by mail. They may purchase new stamps at local Post Offices, at usps.com/stamps or by calling 800-STAMP-24. They should affix the stamps to envelopes of their choice, address the envelopes to themselves or others and place them in a larger envelope addressed to:
Muscle Cars Stamps
500 Bill France Blvd
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
After applying the first-day-of-issue postmark, the Postal Service will return the envelopes through the mail. There is no charge for the postmark. All orders must be postmarked by April 22, 2013.
Ordering First-Day Covers
The Postal Service also offers first-day covers for new stamp issues and Postal Service stationery items postmarked with the official first-day-of-issue cancellation. Each item has an individual catalog number and is offered in the quarterly USA Philatelic catalog, online at usps.com/shop or by calling 800-782-6724. Customers may request a free catalog by calling 800-782-6724 or writing to:
U.S. Postal Service
PO Box 219014
Kansas City, MO 64121-9014
Seven philatelic products are available:
* 470506 Muscle Cars uncut press sheet - a unique way to showcase an exciting era in American automotive history and perfect for framing, this 36.25-inch x 12.6-inch press sheet with die-cuts contains 10 sheets of 20 Muscle Cars Forever stamps positioned five across by two down. Maximum order 5. $92
* 470508 Muscle Cars uncut press sheet (without die cuts). Maximum order 5. $92
* 470510 Muscle Cars Digital Color Postmark Keepsake - Teeming with horsepower, this collectible package includes a sheet of 20 Muscle Cars Forever stamps and a set of five number 6 envelopes - each with a different, affixed Muscle Cars stamp and a First-Day-of-Issue color postmark. $17.95
* 470516 Muscle Cars First-Day Cover - Rev up your collection with this dynamic set of five first-day covers. Each number 6 envelope features a different affixed Muscle Cars Forever stamp and a First-Day-of-Issue black pictorial postmark. $4.50
* 470530 Muscle Cars Ceremony Program - Celebrate an exciting era in automotive history and the Muscle Cars Forever first day of issue with an official ceremony program and cover. The full-color, custom-designed program features the first-day ceremony agenda and participants on one side, with a narrative about these iconic cars and the stamp designs on the reverse. $6.95
* 470524 Muscle Cars Framed Stamp Art (silver matt w/stamps) - Roar down memory lane with this ready-to-hang artwork that displays a sheet of the 2013 limited edition Muscle Cars Forever stamps. The dynamic stamp designs depict five iconic muscle cars: the 1966 Pontiac GTO, the 1967 Shelby GT-100, the 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona, the 1970 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda, and the 1970 Chevelle SS. The Muscle Cars Forever stamps are the third issuance in the America on the Move stamp series. The stamp artwork was created by Tom Fritz under the art direction of Carl T. Herrman. This 13" x 14" art features a silver mat, chrome-colored frame, non-breakable plexi-glass to protect the stamps, and a dust cover on the back. A saw tooth hanger is installed on the back for easy wall display. $39.95
* 470525 Muscle Cars Framed Stamp Art (car sketch collage mat w/stamps) - Roar down memory lane with this ready-to-hang artwork that features a sheet of the 2013 limited edition Muscle Cars Forever stamps. The dynamic stamp designs depict five iconic muscle cars: the 1966 Pontiac GTO, the 1967 Shelby GT-100, the 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona, the 1970 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda, and the 1970 Chevelle SS. The Muscle Cars Forever stamps are the third issuance in the America on the Move stamp series. The stamp artwork was created by Tom Fritz under the art direction of Carl T. Herrman. The 13" x 14" art is comprised of a mat bearing a collage of muscle car sketches, chrome-colored frame, non-breakable plexi-glass to protect the stamps, and a dust cover on the back. A saw tooth hanger is installed on the back for easy wall display. $39.95